EkonoRack & AeroRack:
Frequently Asked Questions
What are solar racking systems?
Photovoltaic (PV) mounting systems, also referred to solar racking systems, are used to secure solar panels on roofs, building facades, or the ground.
Our ballasted systems use concrete stones to hold the system down and resist the wind pressure. The system will not penetrate the roof at all. We have great working relationships with a wide variety of stone suppliers across North America. This has proven to be very beneficial for ballasting projects subjected to high wind loading.
Our anchored systems require zero concrete stones however, screws are drilled into the membrane to hold the system down (penetration). We have developed solutions which utilize anchors with our EkonoRack and AeroRack 2.0 systems, in addition to having a standalone, fully anchored option.
Supply Chain and Logistics
My KB Racking products have shipped, where are they now?
A: Contact your Project Manager directly to quickly confirm the ETA and location of your KB Racking products.
My work site for the receiving of KB Racking products has limitations.
A: Our comprehensive shipping form provided by each Project Manager will allow you to call out any challenges to receiving shipments at site/warehouse and we will take these limitations into account when preparing your shipment.
What size/weight pallets will my products arrive on?
A: Pallet size/weight will vary by project. Our two most common size pallets are 4’x 4’and 80’ x 32’. Other size pallets include 7’x 3’, 6’ x 4’ & 130” x 80”. For longer parts (e.g: rails), the bundles can go to 20’x 3’. Weight per pallet is about 800 lbs each but special packaging accommodations can be made on request for roof weight restrictions.
Where is my shipment coming from?
A: We mainly ship from Toronto across North America.
My project is very large, can I split the shipment arrival dates?
A: We will do our best to accommodate split shipments within the originally quoted shipping cost, a small adjustment may be required if additional trucks are added.
What are KB Racking’s options for weight challenged projects?
- Our AeroRack is a lightweight rail based mounting system which adds minimal loads to any roof.
- Reinforcement bars can be applied to the EkonoRack 2.0 system to increase weight distribution.
- AnchorRack is a penetrating solution which requires zero ballast.
- Anchors can be applied to the EkonoRack & AeroRack 2.0 to further reduce the ballast load.
What are the options for mounting optimizers and micro-inverters?
A: Optimizers and micro-inverters can be mounted on the windshields or panels directly.
Have KB Racking products undergone fire resistance testing?
A: Our EkonoRack 2.0, AeroRack 2.0 and AnchorRack systems have been fire tested and approved. All 3 systems feature an ULC 1703 Fire Rating.
What is the average delivery timeline for each system?
- EkonoRack & AnchorRack: 3 – 5 weeks from down payment.
- AeroRack 2.0: 4 – 5 weeks from down payment.
- EkonoRack 1.0 & AeroRack 1.0 for 72 cell panels: 2 weeks from down payment (depending on system size).
- Metal Roof systems: 4 – 6 weeks from down payment.
What type of documents will the client receive over the course of the project?
A: Layout, engineering load report, paver diagram which details the amount of required stones on each support, ballast shading diagram, system spacing diagram, installation manual, bill of materials, and custom documents at the client’s request.
Do we provide the ballast stones?
A: As part of our service, we work to source a local ballast stone supplier near the project site and obtain a quote. However, purchasing and procuring the stones will be the responsibility of the client.
What kind of roof materials are compatible with our racking products?
- Our flat roof systems are compatible with all roof materials. We have conducted extensive testing with various roof manufactures and are pleased to announce compatibility approval with Firestone, Johns Manville, Carlisle, and IKO for their TPO, EPDM, and PVC membranes.
- If customers require an added layer of protection to ensure the roof warranty stays intact, we can provide slip sheets attached to our system which are accepted by the roof manufacturers.
What are the differences between our ballasted & attached systems?
- Our metal roof systems are all attached while we offer both ballasted and attached systems for flat roofs.
- Our ballasted systems use concrete stones to hold the system down and resist the wind pressure. The system will not penetrate the roof at all.
- Our flat roof attached systems require zero concrete stones however, screws are drilled into the roof deck to hold the system down (penetration). These systems also do not require windshields as the attachment itself is sufficient enough to withstand the wind pressure.
- Our UL testing, triple sealing method utilizes the following layers of sealing:
- Eternabond double-sided adhesive tape placed on the base of the AnchorRack support. The Eternabond creates a water-tight seal around the entire base of the support.
- Millennium LPS sealant is applied to the pre-drilled holes in the AnchorRack support prior to attaching the supports with the wood screws. This creates an added localized sealing layer where the actual penetration is occurring.
- HER flashing is applied the perimeter of the support, in addition to being applied on each of the screws after penetration. This creates one last layer of sealing on any possible rough edges. Water/moisture would have to break the HER layer before it reaches the LPS and Eternabond layers.
Our metal roof systems are categorized into 2 roof types: Standing Seam & Corrugated metal. The SeamRack system (standing seam) is attached to the roof via standing seam clamps (no penetration). The BarnRack system (corrugated metal) is attached to the roof via drilling into the purlins/trusses (penetration).
Our BarnRack system utilizes a dual layer of sealing while penetrating the metal roof corrugations, preventing any water leakage. The Barn hooks are sealed to the roof with the following layers:
- Bonded sealing washer between the wood screw and the Barn hook.
- Rubber sealant placed between the Barn hook and the metal roof corrugation.
- The dual layer of sealing have shown to be effective in preventing any foreign substances entering the penetrations.
Is it possible to delay the agreed upon shipment date?
A: If the system has been manufactured and is ready to ship, we can postpone the delivery and reschedule up to 4 weeks. If the delay exceeds 4 weeks, the parts would be placed in a 3rd party storage facility for which additional fees may apply.
Do you offer custom solutions?
A: Yes. We pride ourselves in being able to customize our racking systems to individual projects and adjusting it to your needs. We also generally provide custom solutions for projects with 500+ panels.
Are you approved by LA County and LADBS?
A: Yes: Our EkonoRack 2.0 is approved by LADBS, making us the only Canadian racking company that qualifies and one of the few that can offer a ballasted system in both LA city and LA County.
How long does it take to turn around a quote?
A: 24 hours guarantee for a standard* system
How long does it take you to turn around a layout?
A: Layouts can be turned around within 48 to 72 hours for a standard* system.
Do you go through distribution?
A: No. KB Racking is a company based around customer service by giving each company a personal project manager and account manager to ensure we can offer you exactly what you need.
What is the minimum project size you will do?
A: With us focusing solely on commercial rooftops, we will accept any projects exceeding 25kW.
Do you have a residential racking system?
A: We are currently working on a residential system that we are aiming to launch by winter 2018.
*Standard systems refer to our current lineup without any alterations or customizations.
L.A. County & L.A. City Approval
For L.A City, we have successfully completed the necessary testing per the LADBS requirements and on the L.A County side, our permitting process is faster as our system is now pre-approved!